Sunday, November 01, 2009

Hey mr. Dj


The circuit party is dead. According to this month's issue of OUT magazine, this particular genre of dance party is biting it - primarily because the young party homos that sustained them are now middle aged . Like me. For a few years now I have lamented the loss of these outings in my life, but should I really care? Has the scene changed so dramatically that it would bare no resemblance to what attracted me to it in the first place? Are young homos really becoming more main stream and assimilating to a softer style of music on the dance floor?

The big parties are in decline: White, Black, Black & Blue, Red, Cherry, and the Blue Ball are barely generating a pulse. I remember these parties as incredible rides lasting days—18 hours but who's counting—and discovering the euphoria of constant motion, dancing in 40-minute blocks and being overtaken by the music. I fucking loved it. I was also really high. I think the drugs took away my compulsion to control the scene; they helped me put my faith in a higher power: The Dj.

My boyfriend and I would begin our night at the Roxy on 18th street. Initially we would separate: he headed straight to the main floor, and I would run to the Crystal room on the upper level to hit on the Dj. It was a ritual. The Dj loved it, I loved it, and my boyfriend couldn't have cared less. That was a relationship that really worked (well, not exactly, but that's another story all together). The Crystal room at the Roxy had a wall of glass that looked out to the arena below, a crystal chandelier that hung above clusters of leather sofas, and 70s-era disco that sang down on the comparatively small group (50-ish). I loved to dance on the platform behind that wall of glass staring down on the 1500 dancers below, especially if I was dressed for it.
One of my favorite dance outfits circa 1999 was a Raymond Dragon skin-tight sleeveless white mesh tank top and matching shorts, both pieces had a fat stainless steel zipper running up the front, with black Doc Marten lace-ups that nearly reached my knees. That was a hot number. So after an hour or so of flirting and pretending to be a circuit go-go boy up in the Crystal room, I would join Todd on the main floor and dance for a couple more hours before heading over to Tunnel on 11th avenue.

Junior Vasquez crafted Tunnel into an underground trance-techno train ride. Tunnel was the perfect midpoint; the music was far from the bubble gum of the Crystal Room, yet nowhere near the metallic sound of what would follow. Tunnel put me in a trance.

Around 8:00 a.m., the final leg of our club tour would land us at the Sound Factory. (Later, SF morphed into Twilo.) I loved both Twilo and Sound Factory. While SF had a more calm trance-house vibe, Twilo's sound became much harder, more industrial and repetitive. I loved it. Because of the emergence of meth in both that culture and my own life, I was even more drawn to Twilo and that sound; even sober, I still love that harder beat-driven style of music, despite OUT's insistence that the new generation has rejected it.

I stopped going out to the clubs when I got sober 5 years ago. I guess as one approaches 40 and beyond there are all sorts of reasons to give it up, but honestly, if I didn't feel that scene threatened my sobriety and if in fact that scene still existed, I would probably still be
hittin' it.


TWILO: Tough


19 comments:

Unknown said...

All good things come to an end. But I still have my parties at home ;)

flashpoint said...

You know, I think that the decline of those scenes might have more to do with the obsolescence of the music. The driving techno beats that once sounded so fresh and vital are now tired and repetitive. Also, you have to be on drugs to enjoy it. People are still taking drugs, but they are dancing to something else.

M- Filer said...

I think you are right on this one LOST E., but tired and repetitive is how I roll honkey! The Sunday night Cottage Party here at the Bubbles Lounge is all teckno--all night.

plus a little james taylor.

Gledwood said...

Circuit party? What is that?

btw do you happen to remember what Twilo was called before it was called Twilo? Whatever it was was also a famous club.

I've only ever heard of about 4 New York nightclubs, Twilo being one of them...

When I used to go clubbing in London in the 1990s we heard constant tales from NYC of how terrible things were over there .. everyone on ketamine, drugs police in silly great hats... no fun zones etc etc I hope it has perked up since then!!

(or was i just getting bad information?!?!)

Gina Welch said...

Madeanner! You and I were going to the same clubs. Y2K saw me in a red glitter tube top, silver eyeshadow, and black platform boots pulsing at Twilo and Tunnel on ecstasy while strangers blew menthol in my eyes. I do not miss this period of my life, which ended with me vomiting into a Times Square subway grate.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of you in all white mesh, with steel zippers down the front. HAWT. Can u resurrect that look?

Gledwood said...

hang on i think i just answered the question:

weren't sound factory and twilo the same place in different eras?

I know and love that track top one it's not over yet

tell you what you would have loved Sunnyside up (Sundays midday-9pm)
and Trade (Saturdays about 9pm-4pm)

M- Filer said...

gledwood: Read Paragraph 4, lines 3-6 of this post for the answer to your question. Another skimmer caught in the act! hahaha

WAT said...

Meh. This circuit party thang was never my thing. I don't get high off anything but a bit of pot and don't really drink. How boring am I?

I love karaoke bars and a regular club once in a while here and there. Ho hum.

Eddie said...

Wow. Thanks for the trip. I actually remember it similarly (hey, it wasn't so long ago).

The Red Zone, The Limelight and The Tunnel. Those clubs were very HISPANIC/CLUB KID. I remember hearing Deee-lite's hot track... "WHAT IS LOVE?" at the Limelight.

Loved this post dude. Sorry I missed ya for some time. You know I keep cumming back pa.

Besos

Anonymous said...

This circuit party post reminds me of my clubbin' days in Denver. Being that I was only drinking then, I couldn't dance for that long, but watched people do it for hours.

Christopher said...

Ain't nothin wrong with "hitt'in it" in your own living room!

RAD said...

Sad-- alot of changes huh...from circut parties to our identitys--it will be interestting to what our lifestyles warp into....

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

I love to dance, too. But, truthfully, I'm glad the whole circuit party thing is dying out (or, at least dying down); I know too many 50 year old gay men who LIVE for those parties, and I think it's kinda sad, really. I mean, people can do what they want and having fun is GOOD, but anything taken to extremes...

Big Daddy said...

OMGee.

I totally remember Limelight during the Disco2000 days.

Ack.

And later, Club USA.

I was also a big fan of Sound Factory Bar circa 1994.

Frankie Knuckles used to play every Friday night.

Gledwood said...

thanks for that I see what you mean...
do you know how I know those names when I never even WENT to NYC bc our dance music press used to put the Junior Vasquez on a pedestal as an amazing gracefulness thang...

yes you are right I was not only skimming... youtubing... you name it (not dancing but that music always seems to bring out "flashbacks" thangs in me, know what I mean??) i hope you don't mind my borrowing one for my vid of the day of course I gave your name and linkback and all...

what was I going to say?

oh! bad news have you seen this?

http://madonnasthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/09/important-announcement.html

i never was THAT convinced bc i'd read the very first posts they were pure parody

but the reverence in the commentary boxes! oh man!!

i was reverent too in the beginning

then someone passed on my highly personal sceptical comment..

don't know WHAT happened...

"madonna" finally admitted it...

Pod said...

ah for the old days
i hear you
;0)

CatWoman said...

Ah I remember the good ol days when my mo mates would take me to some soiree at their fave bar and it would be Rocky Horror videos etc and BOOM BOOM BOOM It's Raining Men Hallelujah! & You spin me right round, baby
right round like a record, baby
Right round round round
You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round

Ah. Have those days really gone forever? Well at least I have my ipod. I can listen to The Weather Girls, Cher, Madonna et al.

kimmo_matias said...

Hey Dean, just wanted to let you know I'm building up a tribute blog for Madonna, for all of us who got fooled with the other one (or not). I just posted a preview image of the look of the blog (to my blog). So go check it out and please feel free to express what you think of it. Hope to see you in the new blog when I open it. Spread to word to other people, other "orphans" so to speak. Take care! -Kimmo Matias-

Gledwood said...

It's weird the American dance party scene has always seemed harder and more diffuse... in the heyday here EVERYONE was on ecstasy and lots of us would take nothing else.... I went off speed many years ago because of the nasty comedowns!