Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lessons I learned from Madonna: #47



#47 - P e r s i s t e n c e
(
or… don’t wait for an invitation, just barge in)

I made just one New Year's resolution for 2008, and that was to land a job in the fast-paced and glamorous world of property management. So, just before the New Year I made a list of all the companies in this town that deal with leases, both residential and commercial, and one by one began to interview with them. When I say "interview," I mean, barge in unannounced and ask to speak with the managing broker. It was a pretty effective line of attack in terms of opening doors, and not everyone has been offended by my tactics. In fact four of these brokers extended our conversation beyond my initial break-in. Ultimately, however, none were particularly interested in my colorful array of talents, not least of which was a penchant for starting businesses with limited applicable skills, experience, or required insurances.

After being picked off one by one, by eleven separate companies, one of them twice (unnecessarily mean-spirited phone calls, both of them!), I managed to arrange one last meeting. The initial contact was with one of this company's property managers; she was both curt and dismissive, suggesting I find a more appropriate jumping off mark for my “new career". What-a-bitch. I placed the telephone receiver on its cradle, rested for a moment as I exhaled long and hard, looked to the ceiling for strength, and began dialing once again—this time to that little bitch's boss, the President of the company.

B I N G O. Ms. Bitch’s boss and I had a nice long talk during which I was careful not to mention any lack of experience I might have in the field... and so he agreed to see me in person.
Without boring you with the details of our meeting, just one week after our initial conversation, I was offered the job that drove me to espionage. My new boss immediately introduced me to everyone on site. Ms. Bitch was away at Disney World at this point, but I was introduced to her desk regardless; Mr. President motioned me to it while rattling off her title. Always looking ahead... I couldn't help but take note of the dimensions of her windows—drapes really do finish a room.

14 comments:

joe*to*hell said...

that is thankfully a slowed down remix.....the real one is a hot jumpy thing

flashpoint said...

Congratulations, bitch face. But before you go fabric shopping, might I remind you of another rule: "the namaste."

Keep your blog out of the work place, or sooner or later, some bitch will shut you down.

way to go!

M- Filer said...

true dat low moon, true dat. How could I forget "the namaste"! Something tells me I am better equipped to handle an attack than that one, she was a little thin skinned to say the least.

So, do you think "Hot Milk" might give Madonna and Justin some air time on Friday night? It's soooo Hall& Oats 2008.

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

WOW! You are an aggressive little shit, aren't you?

Fun!

NEVER move to Seattle. The passive aggressives will make you suicidal. I would know.

P.S. - the vid clip RULES, of course! I may have to post it, too.

Franciscus van Munster said...

Well done!

kimmo_matias said...

Good for you! =) Congrats on the new job! And for the M clip, you're very welcome.

Big Daddy said...

I'm getting 'Me Against the Music' flashbacks.

Unknown said...

Nicely put! :)

I don't like this slow-down version (it makes me go to sleep and it doesn't suit Madonna) and why do we have to hear that Timbaland's awful voice on each and every song he produces?!

WAT said...

You got Madonna's aggressive little ambitious side don't ya sugar? Congrats, and may the bitch have stroke when she gets back from Disney World and sees ya.

The new Madonna song? Oh dear, I'm cringing at Timbaland and hawk nose's involvement already...

Anonymous said...

Let's not panic WAT, until we hear
the finished version, Madge hits the mark more often than not, we owe it to the queen not to pass judgement on bootlegged work.

EDGIE

Scot said...

With or without experience, anyone who's willing to go to those lengths to close a sale belongs in sales.

Christopher said...

You gets major snaps from me...well done Shugah!

CatWoman said...

Wow what a talent. Great idea (er that is your plan of attack) That is a great strategy for where you're located. Here in Chicgao, not so much. Kudos mate.

Gledwood said...

just barge in... yeah

i used to share a house full of "artistic" types. one was a singer with a pretty good voice

she had a manager but he was claiming UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT... I lent her a book about Madonna hoping she would pick up hints on climbing the ladder to the stars... but no she just came back to me with disgust about the woman's supposed sex life (it was the Christopher Andersen/Anderson biography)... and it was then that I knew my friend would never make it anywhere

she was naive enough to believe talent is a passport to fame and fortune: get real girl!