Saturday, December 20, 2008

Dennis Kucinich



If you haven't been paying attention to Dennis Kucinich, now would be a good time to start. He is running again for the Presidency and he has a lot to say. It was he who initiated the idea of a Department of Peace , way back in 2001. The latest incarnation of that idea anyway, its been floating around Congress for over 100 years. After 9-11 the idea of a Peace department lost steam in favor of a Department of Terror, thanks to our friends over at the Project for a New American Democracy: Cheney, Bush, Rumsfeld and friends.

Now Kucinich is co-leading the movement with Marianne Williamson; they are actively pursuing congressional support for House Resolution 808 which was just introduced last week. 75 members of congress have already signed on to HR 808 in the hope that it will lead to the formation of a cabinet level position devoted to forging peace. I will be writing more about that in days & weeks to come, but for now, check out Dennis. He is one more excellent choice coming from the Democratic party, perhaps the best choice.


"I grew up in the city of Cleveland, the oldest of seven children. My parents never owned a home. We were renters, we kept moving, with each new arrival to our family. We lived in 21 different places, including a couple of cars. I know first hand what happens when someone in the family lacks adequate health care, or daycare or doesn’t have the money for college or can’t afford to pay the utility bills.
I remember where I came from. My priority as President will be to create economic opportunities and prosperity, to rebuild America’s cities, to repair America’s neighborhoods, to restore America’s industry, to renew America’s schools, to reclaim America’s health. I will ask our Democratic Congress to pass a single-payer not for profit health care plan, Medicare for All, a Universal Pre-Kindergarten bill, a Rebuild America’s Infrastructure bill, and legislation to create a cabinet-level Department of Peace and Non-Violence, which takes Dr. King’s dream and makes it an everyday reality".
Dennis Kucinich


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is who my friend in NY was talking to me about yesterday. cool.
Peace gets bigger...
better...
more universal...
PEACE WHOM EVER BRINGS IT.
Even Bush...:)

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

I think it's a wonderful idea - and I like Dennis Kucinich - I have for a long time. I definately think he is too "liberal" (NOT a dirty word) for many people, but he's not for me -- and it makes LOGICAL SENSE to have a "Deaprtment of Peace" - it IS TRUE that what we focus on EXPANDS.

P.S. - the Google ads are useless, and I'm taking them down. The ad for Giuliani was the last straw!

M- Filer said...

I think he wouldn't be elected either,for the reason you gave AND because people like you and I won't vote for him because we don't think he is "electable". It's a self fulfilling prophecy really.We rather be in power than risk losing because we voted for an unpopular candidate: even if it is our 1st choice, and born out of principle.
Oh well...that's life.

WAT said...

AIDS= Weapon of mass destruction

Cancer= Weapon of mass destruction

RAD said...

Happy VD man!! xoxoxox Errol

Eddie said...

Dennis Kucinich... hmmmm...

His ideas are indeed intriguing and by far some of the most original thoughts out of the bunch...

Thanx for bringing him to my attention. I actually heard a few things about him, but never this thorough...

Besos