Saturday, January 10, 2009

Coming Out of the Madonna Closet

I came out of the Madonna closet in 1989. Three albums came and went with not so much as a nod from this closet case. The bubble gum lyrics and catchy beats were a nice match for my shallow tastes, but Madonna was considered a flash in the pan at the time, it seemed pointless to get too excited about her or her work. Besides, she was the target of so much slander by "serious" musicians and their followers, it was like...why bother.

Like a Prayer changed everything. It was the first Madonna record I had ever purchased, the patchouli scented cassette jacket seemed so naughty... so Catholic. She had me at "just like a muse to me, you are a mystery", because at that instant ...I loved Madonna! I ran through the resume in my mind: four albums of solid dance music, a new persona each time, lyrics that inspire personal power, and a new album that was arguably an R&B masterpiece. Madonna got her funk on with this record and I was finally proud to proclaim my devotion out loud and for the world to hear. Madonna this, Madonna that, I just couldn't help being a bit militant. Already 6 years deep into pop fame, but for me it was all so new, and it felt akin to coming out of the closet following years of pent up repression.

Why bring this up now? I have had a similar experience recently, and because this sort of thing happens only once every twenty-five years or so, it must be shared. Heading out to my car yesterday, I grabbed a package out of the mailbox sent by my longtime pal Eddie. inside the package was a copy of Britney Spears' Blackout. Slid the disc into the CD player and went about my day.

I am out of the Britney closet bitches! I can't stop listening to this beautifully produced dance album, sooo converted ...save Britney now!,

14 comments:

H. Alan Scott said...

your blog is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, FYI.

someone needs to save britney. i really don't care about her music, it's fun and stuff. my main concern is that somebody recognize that this is not just a star acting silly, but a seriously sick woman who needs mental help before it's too late, you know?

and madonna, well, she's forever.

Big Daddy said...

It took me until Bedtime Story to fully appreciate her.

Mind you, I'm a tad younger than you.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you are enjoying Blackout. I cannot stop listening
to it. Sure, it is over produced and slick but, it is also a damn good
dance CD. How can anyone resist songs like Peice of Me, with lyrics
like, "I'm Miss bad media karma, another day another drama?"...talk about
art imitating life. And it's got a good beat. All her personal issues
aside, this is a well done dance CD.

Since the media does hound her, and unfortunately, we do know too much,
I genuinely would like her to get well. I would hate to see her become
the next Anna Nicole. She seems to be acting out at an alarming rate.
Please get help Britney, for yourself, for your kids and so you can
keep putting out CD's like Blackout. Call me anytime Brit, I'm there for
you (I'm sure she must read your blog).

kimmo_matias said...

Well this was a surprise, that you found Madonna through Like A Prayer. Same happened for me. I did have her earlier ones, but it was not until Like A Prayer that I got into her big time.

As far as Britney, I do like the songs I've heard from the new album. She is a star, and she is good in what she does - but her recent activity, I am very worried for her. Her personal life seems to be so out of hand. I hope she will pull through the difficult times and get her life back on track.

WAT said...

I fell in love with Madonna from the moment I saw her "Borderline" video back in 1983 I think. I found her so pretty, and her singing style to be very sweet sounding.

Eddie deserves an award for giving you that terrific CD! Did I not tells ya on my blog as well that Britney's latest was great? Catchy? Sexy? Erotic? Addictive? "Perfect Lover" stands as one of my favs, a great erotic track. How can we not love Britney now more than ever, especially after her terrible problems as of late.

She needs all our love and support.

M- Filer said...

"Bedtime Stories" was a great follow up to "Erotica" BDaddy, not a bad entry point at all.

"Perfect Lover" is definetly a "Blackout" top-tier track WAT, I love it for the same reasons that you do--duh. Actually, I think tracks 9-12 are flawless, and 12 especially (Why Should I be Sad)is powerful for me, I get a real strong Janet Jackson "Velvet Rope" vibe from it, yet it is totally Britney's, not a rip off. "Peice of Me" too is a hot track. It's true Wat, you did sing the praises of this CD in your blog, but ya know...Eddie actually SENT it to me. Gotta love Eddie, hearing is believing!

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

I fear, my dear, that Britney is as good as done! Which, really, is a shame. As for Madonna, I was a fan from day one, and am to this very moment. There is no one like her...she is pure genius.

Anonymous said...

Hey Wat, love the video to "Perfect Lover", very nice. One of my
favorite tracks is "Hot as Ice", that's a fun one. Did I forget to mention,
that I too fell for Madonna around the time "Like a Prayer" came out
and the person who turned me onto her was M-filer. Yup, it's true, my
good friend Dean turned me onto her...thank you.

Anonymous said...

Like a Prayer is a good album. Not my favorite. My favorites are Music and Ray of Light. But I still love the rest!

Great blog!

Unknown said...

The same day I bought ''Madonna'' LP I was hooked. I actually didn't know who she was, I just liked this girl with a chain around her neck on the cover. The rest is history....

Anonymous said...

Interesting, and damn Eddie is fine.

Gledwood said...

I didn't like Madonna until she put out True Blue then her voice changed and the songs got about x100 better

I'd say she peaked with Like a Prayer

In many ways the Madonna album I like the best is I'm Breathless - one that seems nearly forgotten by the rest of the world but it shows the girl has versatility... and some excellent Sondheim songs on there

Ray of Light was really good too

but after that I was too much into drugs to be that into any kind of music at all!

(sad but true)

CatWoman said...

It doesn't suck. But I'd much rather listen to Shakira or Beyonce,OR Beyonce and Shakira
He said, I'm worth it, his one desire.I know things about him that you wouldn't want to read about.
He kissed me, his one and only
(Yes) Beautiful Liar!

Unknown said...

Like a prayer was the first compact disc i ever purchased, ahhh memories!